Thursday, May 13, 2010

Allergy Update - Hypoallergenic Diet, Day 2

Last night was not a happy night. Very itchy. However, I'm not giving up hope. It's too early in the diet to be able to tell anything and I read in several places about a sort of "rebound" effect on histamine levels after the allergen was removed.

Breakfast: oatmeal with a dash of maple syrup
Lunch: lentils
Dinner: baked cabbage, which was really pretty awesome. I'm definitely going to make this again. The cabbage was very tender and surprisingly sweet.

I ended up eating half a head of cabbage during the course of the evening. According to this website, a whole head of cabbage contains 290 calories. This website helpfully adds that there are 4 calories in one leaf, but then goes on to list other more useful measurements. I think mine was a large (7" diameter) cabbage, which contains a grand total of 300 calories.

One cup of boiled lentils contains 230 calories. I may have eaten a cup. I was kind of in a hurry to get to work, so I didn't have time to eat too much lunch.

Oatmeal is a bit more challenging to figure out (also, I've gotten way off topic from allergies here.. ). A 1 cup serving contains 147 calories. But is that 1 cup before or after cooking? It must be after cooking because 1 cup uncooked oatmeal would make at least 1.5 cups cooked... which would require a really large cereal bowl. I started with 2/3 cup, so I probably ended up with nearly a cup of cooked oatmeal. I probably added about 100 calories worth of maple syrup, based on the info on the back of the bottle.

This gives me a calorie count of 637 for yesterday. The weird thing is that I wasn't hungry the whole day, except for right before dinner. Apparently hypoallergenic diets are also good for weight loss.

1 comment:

  1. Let me know how the weight loss part goes. I may adapt this for future use!

    ReplyDelete